Working with Gas connections and appliances in the UK

Whether you just want to add an additional gas point, move an existing point or do any type of work to a gas installation, the advice is simple - DON'T !!

Gas can be very dangerous and the law in the Great Britain (and the Isle of Man) states that all persons carrying out work connected with gas must be suitably registered; from 1st April 2009, this means registered by the Gas Safe Register™ - The Council for Registered Gas Installers (commonly referred to as CORGI) was superseded.

Any person carrying out DIY work or an unregistered tradesman carrying out such work is not only breaking the law but endangering the occupants of the premises.

Alarmingly, over half* of Great Britain’s population said they took it on trust that their gas engineer was properly registered and never checked that they were. A trust which if broken can make the difference between life and death. Every Gas Safe registered engineer has a photo ID card with a unique licence number, and details of the work they are qualified to do.

With 14 people dying from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and 234 suffered serious health problems in 2008** due to badly installed, repaired and maintained gas appliances, keeping the public safe is Gas Safe Register’s top priority. The ‘make Britain gas safe’ message is simple. Be safe, use a registered engineer and always check the card.

Gas Safe Register’s top tips to keep you and your family gas safe are:

  1. Always use a Gas Safe registered engineer for any gas work in your home – and check their ID card.
  2. Make sure your gas appliances are safety checked and serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines, or at least once a year.
  3. If you live in rented accommodation, your landlord must arrange for a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out a safety check every year on all gas appliances. You should be given a copy of the safety certificate before you move in or within 28 days of the safety check. If you don’t have this certificate, ask your landlord.
  4. Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm, which will alert you if dangerous levels are present in your home.
  5. If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak: turn off the gas at the meter, extinguish naked flames, open windows and leave the area. Seek medical advice if you feel unwell. Call the Gas Emergency Freephone number 0800 111 999.

If you need any gas work carried out, don't do it yourself and don't use an unregistered tradesman - it's not worth it even if you save a few pounds. Registered gas tradesman can be found in most local business directories or, from 1st April 2009, the Gas Safe Register™ at or by calling 0800 408 5500.

* Kadence research carried out for Gas Safe Register among 1,000 adults in March 2009
** Health and Safety Executive statistics

The information on this page is considered to be relevant to the UK only