Mould in the house

what causes mould and the solution

What is mould?

mould problemMould is a type of fungus that thrives in humid areas and is often caused by prolonged condensation. Aside from growing on decaying food and plants, mould can grow on walls, window frames, door, ceilings, furniture and other areas within the home.

Mould discolours objects by a layer of fungal growth, leaving a dusty texture and a stale and musty smell behind.

What causes mould?

Condensation and damp is the key cause of mould growth and black mould; if your home is suffering from mould problems then your home also has a moisture problem.

Mould moves through the air as tiny microscope spores that settle in damp areas of the home in search of an ideal breeding ground; kitchens, utility rooms and bathrooms are prone to mould growth due to the amount of moisture in these areas.

During growth, fungal colonies can also produce gases known as ‘volites,’ which are musky, stale odours known to cause headaches, nausea and fatigue when inhaled.

Why is mould a problem?

Aside from affecting the fabric of the property, mould growth can have a detrimental effect on those living in the affected property, as it is a known allergen and trigger for respiratory problems.

Someone who suffers from asthma or other allergies may have troubling breathing in properties that are plagued by mould, as they will continuously inhale airborne contaminants unless the problem is dealt with straight away.

In order to completely get rid of mould you need to invest in a proper mould removal procedure.

Do mould paints and detergents work?

Although there are a significant number of mould paints on the market, truth is, they won’t actually kill the mould, as the mould will continue to grow.

There’s also a myth that detergents can help to eliminate mould but simply using a biocide is not enough, as dead mould is still an allergen and will continue to contribute to poor indoor air quality.

How can I get rid of mould?

The only way to prevent the dispersion of mould spores and build up of fungal colonies is to reduce the relative humidity in your home.

One of the most effective ways of reducing humidity within the home is to ventilate the property. There are many whole house ventilation systems on the market designed to treat condensation problems and prevent mould growth.

What type of ventilation is best to fight mould?

In order to prevent and fight against mould, a whole house ventilation system is advised such as Positive Input Ventilation (PIV). PIV units are designed to reduce humidity and filter fresh air into a property, providing a comfortable, healthy and mould-free living environment for households.

PIV units are an extremely popular, affordable and effective way of ventilating the whole of your home and usually bring many energy-saving benefits.

High performance extract fans are also great for bathrooms, kitchens and WCs and are specifically good if you have condensation and mould problems in a particular area of the property. Good quality extract fans usually use the lowest energy consumption and can be very aesthetically pleasing.

Can’t I use a dehumidifier?

You can use a dehumidifier but there are many cons in comparison to whole house ventilation solutions.

Dehumidifiers can be incredibly noisy and are only really effective in the room they are placed. They do not ventilate the whole property and they require a lot more maintenance.

How can I reduce humidity in the meantime?

Although you cannot eliminate condensation without ventilating your property, in the meantime, you can reduce condensation levels by opening windows when cooking, showering, drying washing indoors or any other activity that releases a significant amount of moisture.

When cooking or bathing, it may be a good idea to shut the kitchen or bathroom door in order to prevent the moisture escaping to other areas in your home. Instead, open all windows and air out the room as much as you can.